Minutes of the 8-20-13 EC meeting at 7PM via teleconference call. GPCT attendees: co-chairpersons: Linda Thompson, Allan Brison and S. Michael DeRosa; treasurer: Christopher Reilly and secretary: Barbara Barry. No other known attendees.
Consensus: Below are additional suggestions for the baseline 8.27.13 SCC agenda:
*GPUS T-shirt design is available now;
*Minutes from the 8/17/13 Nominating Meeting of the Fairfield County Green Party. Location: UConn-Stamford. In attendance: voting members David Bedell, Richard Duffee, Hector Lopez, Rolf Maurer, Cora Santaguida. Observer: Paul Bassler. The following candidates for public office were nominated and approved by unanimous consensus: - Cora Santaguida for Stamford Board of Representatives, Districts 2, 3, and 9; - Rolf Maurer for Stamford Board of Representatives, Districts 7, 12, and 13; - Clausel Berrouet for Stamford Board of Representatives, District 10; - Ted Hanser for Stamford Board of Representatives, District 20; - Fausto Molina for Stamford Constable; - Richard Duffee for Stamford Board of Education; - Daphne Dixon for Fairfield Zoning Board of Appeals Alternate; - Dan Delventhal for Fairfield Constable; - David Bedell for New Canaan Constable; - Hector Lopez for New Canaan Constable; - Leif Smith for Redding Constable.
Note: Cora and Rolf were nominated as placeholders, with the understanding they may find replacement candidates to run in some of their districts. David Bedell, Secretary Fairfield County chapter, CT Green Party.
*Pursuant to CT General Statutes Sec. 9-452a, as Secretary of the New London Green Party, I hereby provide statutory notice of a Green Party nominating meeting, to be held: Date: Thursday, August 29, 2013, Time: 6:00 p.m. Location: Captain’s Pizza, 8 Bank Street, New London. Purpose: Nominate Green Party candidate(s) for any municipal office in the City of New London. Nominations shall be accepted from the floor. Anyone who meets the requirements of membership as defined by the rules of the New London Green Party and is present at the meeting is eligible to vote. The nominee(s) must receive support from a simple majority of those who actually vote. "None of the above" will be included as a ballot choice in the candidate selection process. Respectfully submitted, Ronna Stuller, Secretary New London Green Party, 19 Evergreen Avenue, New London, CT 06320 860-447-9823
*Chris Reilly did the letter notifying of the 8.27.13 nominating meeting for various municipal offices in CT; will need a 2nd GPCT nominating convention if New London chapter fields any GPCT candidates.
*8.18-13 press release from Tim McKee regarding the GPCT fundraiser with Jill Stein on Sunday, September 8, 2013 at 3pm at the Portland Senior Center. Jill Stein to autograph posters and items; merchandise may be sold for the GPCT; attendees may give pledges of money to the GPCT. SMD to do PSAs for local radio stations of WESU and WWUH. GPCT candidates will participate to highlight how GP values are local, national and international.
*GPCT Retreat is available for Sunday, September 29, 2013 in Branford. Fee is $320 for all-day (8am to sundown) event. GPCT does not allow the EC to authorize the use of more than $50. How much of the deposit may be returned and what are GPCT responsibilities are unknown at this time. Note: current GPCT bank balance: $240.80.
*Norwich Chapter development continues and likely to meet a Thursday of every month.
*GPCT wants to support its candidates with campaign money.
Proposed agenda for the Tuesday, August 27, 2013 SCC meeting at 7PM at the Portland Senior Center:
1. Review and: a) approve 6.25.13 SCC and 7.30.13 meeting minutes and b) accept the EC minutes of: 7.22.13 and 8.20.13 meetings.
2. Treasurer's report from Christopher Reilly.
3. Agenda items from Linda, co-chairperson: a) Update on Mailing List Information; b) discussion of Norwich Bulletin Opportunity; c) chapter development and d) Retreat Report.
4. Reports from our three (3) representatives to the GPUS: Linda Thompson, Tim McKee, and S. Michael DeRosa.
5. Secretary’s report from Barbara Barry.
6. Any proposals/ resolutions from chapters or a group of five CTGP Members or from the EC.
7. Updates about actions taken by the CT legislature, our governor or the federal government and our actions.
8. Update regarding the anticipated 2013 Jill Stein fundraiser/speech to the GP of CT at Portland Senior Center. Things to do: more media releases; preparing the site for the event.
9. Green Party of CT candidates from Fairfield county, New London and Columbia for the November 5th, 2013 elections.
10. Status of the GPCT Bylaws Committee from members: Rolf Maurer, Cora Santaquida, Christopher Reilly, Linda Thompson, Barbara Barry, S. Michael DeRosa and Jeffry Larson.
11. Reports from CTGP members to the (GPUS) National Committees.
Accreditation (AC): reviews any state chapter which petitions to join the GPUS; reviews criteria for state delegates to GPUS annual meetings and conventions.
Annual National Meeting (ANMC): working on the July 25-28, 2013 GPUS Annual Meeting: Tim McKee and John Went.
Ballot Assess (BA): discussion of efforts, difficulties, strategies and successes of the state Green Parties gaining ballot access:
S. Michael DeRosa and Edward Schwing.
Bylaws, Rules, Polices Procedure (BRPP): for the GPUS officers and national committees: Amy Vas Nunes.
Coordination Campaign (CCC): distribution of GPUS money to Green Party public office candidates.
Dispute Resolution (DRC): mediation of any disputes within the GPUS organization:
Diversity (DC): strategies and actions to urge/maximize diversity within the GPUS: Linda Thompson.
Eco Action (EA): develop strategies for the GPUS regarding ecological matters.
Finance (FinCom): review and determine how to spend the money of the GPUS organization
Fundraising (FC): raises money for the GPUS operations.
Green Party of the US internet news: acquire and write articles for the GPUS website.
International Committee (IC): develops/promotes GPUS positions regarding world issues. Hector Lopez, Justine McCabe and S. Michael DeRosa.
Latino Caucus: Hector Lopez.
Merchandizing Committee (MERCH): determines and acquires items for the GPUS. Rolf Maurer and Hector Lopez.
Media Committee (MC): writes GPUS press releases.
Outreach (OC): interacts with other groups who may have similar interests of the GPUS: Linda Thompson.
Peace (GPAX): discusses/develops strategies of how the GPUS may promote peace throughout the world: Hector Lopez and S. Michael DeRosa.
Platform (PC): promotes positions on issues for the GPUS which are consistent with Green Party Ten Key Values: Justine McCabe and Amy Vas Nunes.
Presidential Campaign Support Committee (PCSC): develop strategies to support any GPUS presidential candidates. Timothy McKee.
Women’s Caucus: Martha Kelly.
12. Political actions to be taken in the near future; events GPCT wishes to participate in.
13. Chapter reports: verbal to the attendees and the written approved minutes to the CTGP secretary/EC members.
14. Selection of the date, time and site of the next September SCC meeting: possibly the last Tuesday i.e. 9.24.13 or some other day of the week.
15. Other suggestions.
GREEN PARTY TEN KEY VALUES:
community-based economics and economic justice, decentralization, ecological wisdom, feminism and gender equality, future focus and sustainability, grassroots democracy, non-violence, personal and global responsibility, respect for diversity, social justice and equal opportunity.
Submitted by Barbara Barry, secretary of the Green Party of Connecticut