Minutes of the Tuesday, July 22, 2014 EC conference meeting at 7:00PM .
GPCT attendees: co-chairpersons: Rolf Maurer and S. Michael DeRosa. Co-chairperson: Linda Thompson was absent. Treasurer: Christopher Reilly. Secretary/Facilitator: Barbara Barry.
Discussed the following:
- Hartford Courant reporter, Matt Clarida, wants to follow 1 or 2 of our petitioning candidates. BAB responded to Matt and emailed Matt’s request to our petitioning candidate: Bill Collins.
- GPUS Platform final votes for Platform proposals: #755: from Hawaii about the Middle East: failed 30 yes to 59 no with 5 abstaining; #756: from VA about the Middle East: adopted: 65 yes to 6 no and 8 abstaining; #758: Gun Control: adopted 55 yes to 12 no to 11 abstaining; # 759 about the Internet: Adopted 76 to 2 abstaining, #761: Health Care: adopted 54 yes to 18 no to 4 abstaining.
- BAB: Bill Collins has handed in 150 petition signatures but needs 112. He will continue petitioning. AFT requested interview with him.
- BAB: awaits response from Brian Austin regarding District 51 and 2nd Congressional District.
Agenda for our 7-30-14 SCC meeting:
1. Review and approval the minutes of the: a) 6-2-14 SCC meeting and the June 30, 2014 GPCT Nominating Convention; and b) accept the minutes of the: 6-23-14 and 7-22-14 EC meetings.
2. Treasurer's report from Christopher Reilly. balance as of now: $521.
3. Secretary’s report from Barbara Barry.
4. Reports from our three (3) representatives to the GPUS: Tim McKee, S. Michael DeRosa & Baird Welch-Collins.
5. Any proposals/resolutions from chapters or from five CTGP Members or from the EC.
6. Discuss the June 30, 2014 GPCT Nominating Convention.
7. Report from our GPCT official delegates and members who attended the July 24th through 27th GPUS Annual Meeting and 30th anniversary of GPUS annual meetings.
8. Status of campaigns of the GPCT candidates for the Nov. 4th 2014 election for the offices of:
- Ballot line candidates:
Secretary of the State: S. Michael DeRosa; Stephen Fourier for Attorney General; Rolf Maurer for Comptroller and for WRITE-IN for treasurer.
US Congressional District I: Jeffery Russell;
US Congressional District 2: pending the results of the August 9, 2014 Regional Nominating Convention.
David Michel for State Senator, District 27 (parts of Stamford & Darien).
Ed Heflin for State Senate, District 36 (Greenwich).
State Senate District 1 (southern Hartford/ northern Wethersfield): Barbara A. Barry.
Colin Bennett for State Senate District 33 (Haddam, East Haddam, Chester, Deep River, Essex, Lyme, Clinton and Westbrook).
David Bedell for State Representative for District 125 (most of New Canaan).
Nathan Cloutier for State Representative for District 148 (part of Stamford).
Matthew Went for State Representative District 84 (Meriden center).
Doug Lary for Windham GPCT Registrar of Voters (also running on the Bottom Line party line and is petitioning on a third political party line).
Zoe DeVito for Stamford Board of Education.
- Petitioning for offices: Bill Collins for State Representative for District 38 (Waterford and part of Montville). Brian Austin for State Representative for District 51 (Thompson, Putnam and part of Killingly). David Bedell for State Representative, District 94 (part of New Haven). David Bedell for State Representative for District 122 (part of Shelton/northern Stratford
- NEED candidates for ballot lines of:
CT State Representative District 25 (part of New Britain).
CT State Representative District 67 ( majority of New Milford). CT State Representative District 135 (Weston, Easton and southern Redding).
Weston, CT Registrar of Voters.
Stamford, CT Judge of Probate.
- NEED candidates to petition for: governor and lt. governor.
- GPCT member who is running NOT on the GPCT line but an unaffiliated line: Don Alexander for State Representative from District 65.
9. Update from our GPCT liaison (Tim McKee) to our alliance with NJ, NY, RI, MA and PA regarding the Algonquin Pipeline. Here's a link to the Spectra Energy description of the project: http://www.spectraenergy.com/Operations/New-Projects-and-Our-Process/New-Projects-in-US/Algonquin-Incremental-Market-AIM-Project/
10. GPCT fundraising with possible speakers: a) Harvey Wasserman, anti-nuclear activist since at least Three Mile Island event…for two fundraising events: Waterford, CT chapter is seeking a site for one event and Fairfield chapter, e.g. Ferguson Library at Stamford Library, as a site that would also be fairly accessible to New York Green Party members and others; Mr. Wasserman declined Sunday, 9-28-14 but offered the alternative of Sunday, October 5th as an alternate date.
11. Any GPCT sponsored events:
12. Reports from our (3) CTGP representatives to each of the following (GPUS) National Committees.
Accreditation (AC): reviews state chapter which petitions to join the GPUS; reviews criteria for state delegates to GPUS annual meetings and conventions.
Annual National Meeting (ANMC): working on the 2014 GPUS Annual Meeting: Tim McKee.
Ballot Assess (BA): discussion of efforts/difficulties/strategies/successes of the state Green Parties gaining ballot access: SMD and Don Alexander.
Bylaws, Rules, Polices Procedure (BRPP): for the GPUS officers and national committees: Joshua Steele Kelly.
Coordination Campaign (CCC): distribution of GPUS money to Green Party public office candidates.
Dispute Resolution (DRC): mediation of any disputes within the GPUS organization.
Diversity (DC): strategies and actions to urge/maximize diversity within the GPUS. Don Alexander.
Eco Action (EA): develop strategies for the GPUS regarding ecological matters. Jeff Russell.
Finance (FinCom): review and determine how to spend the money of the GPUS organization.
Fundraising (FC): raises money for the GPUS operations.
Green Party of the US internet news: acquire and write articles for the GPUS website.
International Committee (IC): develops/promotes GPUS positions re: world issues. Amy Vas Nunes, SMD and Justine McCabe.
Latino Caucus: Hector Lopez.
Merchandizing Committee (MERCH): determines and acquires items for the GPUS. Rolf Maurer.
Media Committee (MC): writes GPUS press releases.
Outreach (OC): interacts with other groups who may have similar interests of the GPUS. Don Alexander.
Peace (GPAX): discusses/develops strategies of how the GPUS may promote peace throughout the world. Don Alexander, Joshua Steele Kelly and SMD.
Platform (PC): promotes positions on issues for the GPUS which are consistent with Green Party Ten Key Values. Amy Vas Nunes, Don Alexander & SMD.
Presidential Campaign Support Committee (PCSC): develop strategies to support any GPUS presidential candidates. Tim McKee.
13. Update of GPCT Mailing List: GPCT has the March 4th 2014 Secretary of the State Voter Registration List. It has been requested that chapter provide their own updated member information including emails to the GPCT list via the secretary.
14. Suggestions from the GPCT Bylaws Committee from members: Rolf Maurer, Cora Santaguida, Christopher Reilly, Barbara Barry, S. Michael DeRosa, Jeffry Larson and Joshua Steele Kelly.
15. a) GPCT chapter development: reactivation of the Greater New Haven chapter on 1-9-14 after 18 months of inactivity; b) other chapter reports: Fairfield, Greater Hartford, Greater Norwich, New London and Waterford, CT; and c) written approved minutes to the CTGP secretary.
16. Selection of the August date, time and site of the next SCC meeting.
17. Other suggestions.
GREEN PARTY TEN KEY VALUES: non-violence, respect for diversity, grassroots democracy, social justice and equal opportunity, ecological wisdom, decentralization, community-based economics and economic justice, future focus and sustainability, personal and global responsibility, feminism and gender equality.