June 30, 2014 SCC meeting started at 8:30PM, which was immediately following the 7PM GPCT Nominating Convention at Portland Senior Center. GPCT attendees by chapter: Fairfield: Ed Heflin, David Bedell, David Michel, Fausto Milino and Rolf Maurer, a GPCT co-chairperson; Greater Hartford: Jeff Russell, Steve Fournier, Photios Dalamagas, Disia Dalamagas, GPCT: co-chairperson: S. Michael DeRosa, treasurer: Christopher Reilly and secretary: Barbara Barry. New London: Ronna Stuller and Bob Stuller; Waterford: Baird Welch-Collins, Margaret Welch, Bill Collins and Joshua Steele Kelly Also: Amy Vas Nunes, Douglas Lary, Claire Lary and Tim McKee. And Hartford Courant reporter: Matthew Clarida. Facilitator: Barbara Barry.
- Selection of three candidates allotted by the GPUS to officially represent the GPCT at the July 24-27th GPUS Annual Meeting in St. Paul, MN. Consensus: official GPCT delegates are: Tim McKee and David Michel. Tim was also authorized to use one or two GPCT proxy votes to fill to the maximum the 3 allocated official delegates votes. If DM is able to attend the meeting, then TMcK is authorized to use one proxy vote. If DM is unable to go to meeting, than TMcK is authorized to use two proxy votes. No alternate delegates were authorized, although three were allocated.
- Reports from our three (3) representatives to the GPUS: Tim McKee, S. Michael DeRosa and Baird Welch-Collins. TMcK and SMD sought feedback from attendees about how GPCT wanted him to vote about the GPUS Platform amendment #755 which was presented by the GP of Hawaii regarding GPUS view about the current Middle East situation. Vote: 6 supported #755, 2 were for current platform; but the majority wanted the wording of #755 toned down and to focus on the Key Values of: non-violence and respect for human rights. ALSO: consensus: for the platform proposal in support birth control for everyone.
- Update from GPCT liaison, Tim McKee regarding our alliance with NJ, NY, RI, MA and PA regarding the Algonquin Pipeline. Link to the Spectra Energy project: http://www.spectraenergy.com/Operations/New-Projects-and-Our-Process/New-Projects-in-US/Algonquin-Incremental-Market-AIM-Project. Consensus: attendees concerned about the use of these old pipelines. The proposed extension of this pipeline authorizes funds for additional pipelines and stations but no repair of old degrading pipelines. GPCT is also opposed to the environmental risks on the air, soil and water with the use of fracking to obtain natural gas and oil. Neither of these energy sources will be used within the US i.e. will likely be sold overseas. Cost of pipeline to be borne by New England rate payers by way of the energy costs. The pipeline information was sent out to the GPCT news listserv but BAB will resend to same and to GPCT website.
4. GPCT fundraising event likely in late September 2014 with: Harvey Wasserman, anti-nuclear activist since at least Three Mile Island event…for two fundraising events: Waterford, CT chapter is seeking a site for one event and Fairfield chapter is seeking a site that would also be fairly accessible to New York Green Party members and others; Mr. Wasserman has agreed to come pending logistics.
5. BAB: proposed that GPCT candidates have conferences with the EC regarding campaigning strategies and working together on shared GPCT campaign concerns. Consensus: 1st candidate/EC telephonic conference will be at 7pm on Wednesday, July 16, 2014. Follow-up conferences will be considered e.g. monthly until elections.
6. Consensus: Next SCC meeting to be at 7PM on Wednesday, July 30, 2014. Likely facility: Waverly Center (formerly known as the Portland Senior Center).
The following were deferred due to time restraints at this evening to the next SCC meeting of July 30, 2014. 1. Request GPCT members to volunteer to be GPCT liaisons to other organizations which share similar areas of focus. These issues were recommended by the May 3, 2014 GPCT Annual Meeting attendees. Focus issues: education reform (Common Core regulations), local self sufficiency, campaign finance reform, divestiture of polluting major corporations, divestiture from big banks; CT public bank, student debt relief, pet guardianship, financial equality e.g. minimum wage, living wage, fair taxation; Algonquin Pipeline action; anti-fracking, anti-nuclear and for renewable energy such as wind, sun and geothermal); judicial reform, and supporting GPCT campaigns. Also: other CT environmental organizations; CT legal organizations; and to Canadian Greens. 2. Reports from CTGP members to the (GPUS) National Committees: Accreditation (AC): reviews state chapter which petitions to join the GPUS; reviews criteria for state delegates to GPUS annual meetings and conventions. Annual National Meeting (ANMC): July 24-27, 2014 GPUS Annual Meeting: Tim McKee. Ballot Assess (BA): discussion of efforts/difficulties/strategies/successes of the state Green Parties gaining ballot access: S. Michael DeRosa and Don Alexander. Black Caucus. Bylaws, Rules, Polices Procedure (BRPP): for the GPUS officers and national committees: Joshua Steele Kelly. Coordination Campaign (CCC). Dispute Resolution(DRC). Diversity (DC): strategies and actions to urge/maximize diversity within the GPUS: Don Alexander. Eco Action (EA): develop strategies for the GPUS regarding ecological matters. Jeff Russell. Finance (FinCom).Fundraising (FC).
Green Party of the US internet news. International Committee (IC): develops/ promotes GPUS positions re: world issues: Amy Vas Nunes, S. Michael DeRosa and Justine McCabe. Latino Caucus: Hector Lopez. Merchandizing Committee (MERCH): determines and acquires items for the GPUS: Rolf Maurer. Media Committee (MC). Outreach (OC): interacts with other groups who may have similar interests of the GPUS: Don Alexander. Peace (GPAX): discusses/develops strategies of how the GPUS may promote peace throughout the world: Don Alexander, Joshua Steele Kelly and S. Michael DeRosa. Platform (PC): promotes positions on issues for the GPUS which are consistent with Green Party Ten Key Values: Amy Vas Nunes, Don Alexander and Justine McCabe. Presidential Campaign Support Committee (PCSC): develop strategies to support any GPUS presidential candidates: Tim McKee. Women’s Caucus. 7. GPCT chapter updates: Greater New Haven, Fairfield, Greater Hartford, Greater Norwich, New London and Waterford, CT.
Also DEFERRED SCC typical agenda items due to likely lack of time: review of SCC and EC minutes; treasurer’s report; secretary’s report; no proposals or resolutions were presented so this was deferred anyway. These items will be taken up at the next SCC meeting on July 30, 2014. Time: 7PM. Site: to be determined.
GREEN PARTY TEN KEY VALUES: non-violence, respect for diversity, grassroots democracy, social justice and equal opportunity, ecological wisdom, decentralization, community-based economics and economic justice, future focus and sustainability, personal and global responsibility, feminism and gender equality.