Minutes of June 23, 2014 EC telephonic meeting at 7PM.
GPCT attendees: co-chairpersons: Rolf Maurer and S. Michael DeRosa. Linda Thompson was absent. Treasurer: Christopher Reilly. Secretary/facilitator:
Barbara Barry. No other known attendees.
Proposed agenda for our Monday, June 30th GPCT Nominating Convention to be immediately followed by our (June) SCC meeting. SCC agenda is to cover most urgent items as time allows. Location: Portland Senior Center, 7 Waverly Ave., Portland, CT 06480.
7:00 PM to about 8:00PM: Agenda for the GPCT Nominating Convention. Each attending candidate may present his/her candidate statement for up to one minute about the issues he/she will promote during the campaign which complies with our 10 Key Values. Attendees may ask questions up to five minutes for each candidate. Then the GPCT members will vote to endorse or not endorse each candidate who is seeking GPCT endorsement for the November 4th, 2014 elections.
The following are ballot line candidates for the November 4, 2014 elections: Secretary of the State: S. Michael DeRosa; Stephen Fourier for Attorney General; Rolf Maurer for Comptroller; Rolf Maurer for write-in candidate for treasurer. US Congressional District I: Jeffery Russell; David Michel for CT State Senator, District 27 (part of Stamford and part of Darien). Colin Bennett for CT State Senate District 33 (Haddam, East Haddam, Chester, Deep River, Essex, Lyme, Clinton and Westbrook). Ed Heflin for CT State Senate, District 36 (Greenwich). Barbara A. Barry for CT State Senate District 1 (southern Hartford and northern Wethersfield). Brian Austin for CT State Representative for District 51 (Thompson, Putnam and part of Killingly). Matthew Went for CT State Representative District 84 (Meriden center). David Bedell for CT State Representative for District 125 (most of New Canaan). Nathan Cloutier for CT State Representative for District 148 (part of Stamford). Doug Lary for Windham GPCT Registrar of Voters (also running on the Bottom Line party line and is petitioning on a third political party line). Zoe DeVito for Stamford Board of Education.
Petitioning for offices: Bill Collins for CT State Representative for District 38 (Waterford and southern part of Montville). Is a retired school teacher who has a PhD in American Literature. Endorses: CT public banking; has concerns about the Common Core Curriculum. David Bedell for State Representative, District 94 (part of New Haven). David Bedell for State Representative for District 122 (part of Shelton and northern Stratford).
NEED candidates for: governor and lieutenant governor and candidates for ballot lines of: CT State Representative District 25 (part of New Britain); District 67 ( majority of New Milford). District 135 (Weston, Easton and south part of Redding). US Congressional District 2. Weston, CT Registrar of Voters. Stamford, CT Judge of Probate. GPCT member who is running NOT on the GPCT line but an unaffiliated line: Don Alexander for State Representative from District 65.
Nominating Convention will adjourn at about 8PM and we will immediately start the SCC meeting.
- Selection of members to officially represent GPCT at the July 24-27th GPUS Annual Meeting in St. Paul, MN. Allocated 3 official delegates and 3 alternate delegates by the GPUS.
- Reports from our three (3) representatives to the GPUS: Tim McKee, S. Michael DeRosa and Baird Welch-Collins.
Update from GPCT liaison, Tim McKee regarding our alliance with NJ, NY, RI, MA and PA regarding the Algonquin Pipeline. Link to the Spectra Energy project:
- GPCT fundraising event likely in late September 2014 with: Harvey Wasserman, anti-nuclear activist since at least Three Mile Island event…for two fundraising events: Waterford, CT chapter is seeking a site for one event and Fairfield chapter is seeking a site that would also be fairly accessible to New York Green Party members and others. Mr. Wasserman has agreed to come pending logistics.
- Annual National Meeting (ANMC): July 24-27, 2014 GPUS Annual Meeting: Tim McKee. Ballot Assess (BA): discussion of efforts/difficulties/strategies/successes of the state Green Parties gaining ballot access: S. Michael DeRosa and Don Alexander. Black Caucus. Bylaws, Rules, Polices Procedure (BRPP): for the GPUS officers and national committees: Joshua Steele Kelly. Coordination Campaign (CCC). Dispute Resolution(DRC). Diversity (DC): strategies and actions to urge/maximize diversity within the GPUS: Don Alexander. Eco Action (EA): develop strategies for the GPUS regarding ecological matters: Jeff Russell. Finance (FinCom). Fundraising (FC). Green Party of the US internet news. International Committee (IC): develops/ promotes GPUS positions re: world issues: Amy Vas Nunes, S. Michael DeRosa and Justine McCabe. Latino Caucus: Hector Lopez. Merchandizing Committee (MERCH): determines and acquires items for the GPUS: Rolf Maurer. Media Committee (MC). Outreach (OC): interacts with other groups who may have similar interests of the GPUS: Don Alexander. Peace (GPAX): discusses/develops strategies of how the GPUS may promote peace throughout the world: Don Alexander, Joshua Steele Kelly and S. Michael DeRosa. Platform (PC): promotes positions on issues for the GPUS which are consistent with Green Party Ten Key Values: Amy Vas Nunes, Don Alexander and Justine McCabe. Presidential Campaign Support Committee (PCSC): develop strategies to support any GPUS presidential candidates: Tim McKee. Women’s Caucus. GPCT chapter updates: Greater New Haven, Fairfield, Greater Hartford, Greater Norwich, New London and Waterford, CT.
- GPCT sponsored events.
- Also likely to be DEFERRED due to lack of time are the typical SCC agenda items of: review of SCC and EC minutes; treasurer’s report; secretary’s report; any proposals or resolutions; and chapter reports.
Any items deferred from June 30 SCC meeting will be taken up at the next SCC meeting in July 2014.
GREEN PARTY TEN KEY VALUES: non-violence, respect for diversity, grassroots democracy, social justice and equal opportunity, ecological wisdom, decentralization, community-based economics and economic justice, future focus and sustainability, personal and global responsibility, feminism and gender equality.