EC…8-13-14 minutes of the teleconference attended by the following GPCT executive officers: co-chairpersons: Rolf Maurer of Stamford and S. Michael DeRosa of Wethersfield. Linda Thompson of Norwich was absent. Treasurer: Christopher Reilly of West Hartford and secretary/facilitator: Barbara Barry of Wethersfield.
- BAB agreed to contact potential candidates: Agnes Kurzyna and Cindy Day. Dave Olszta has already told BAB he will like to be the GPCT candidate for CT House District 94 in New Haven.
- EC discussed and agreed to the following agenda for the Tuesday, August 19, 2014 GPCT 2nd Nominating Convention at 6:30PM to be immediately followed by the SCC meeting.
Agendas for the August 19, 2014 GPCT 2nd Nominating Convention to be immediately followed by the SCC meeting. Location: Waverly Center (formerly named the Portland Senior Center), 7 Waverly Ave., Portland, CT 06480
6:30 PM to 7PM: Agenda for August 19, 2014 2nd GPCT Nominating Convention.
- Each new GPCT member who is seeking the endorsement of the GPCT may address the attendees for up to three minutes i.e. give candidate statements/biographies. Attendees have up to 5 minutes to vet the (each) potential candidate. Attendees will vote (by consensus) to endorsement or not to endorse the (each) candidate. ·Agnes Kurzyna for CT House District 25 (New Britain). ·Cindy Day for CT State House District 67 (New Milford). ·David Olszta for CT State House District 94 (New Haven).
********************************************************************************************** Immediately followed at about 7PM by the GPCT SCC meeting (as time allows until about 9PM):
1. Review and approval the minutes of the: a) July 30, 2014 SCC meeting and b) accept the minutes of the: August 13, 2014 EC meeting. c) review and accept the minutes of the Conference of the GPCT Candidates with the EC (executive committee) of August 13, 2014. 2. Treasurer's report from Christopher Reilly. 3. Secretary’s report from Barbara Barry. 4. Reports from our three representatives to the GPUS: Tim McKee, S. Michael DeRosa & Baird Welch-Collins. 5. Any proposals/resolutions from a chapter or from five CTGP Members or from the EC. 6. Report from our GPCT official delegates who attended the July 24th through 27th GPUS Annual Meeting i.e. the 30th anniversary of GPUS annual meetings.
7. Campaign updates of the GPCT candidates for the November 4th 2014 election for the following offices: a) Ballot line candidates: Secretary of the State: S. Michael DeRosa had August 11th 9:30PM radio interview by Scott Harris at WPKN (89.5FM); Stephen Fourier for Attorney General; Rolf Maurer for Comptroller and also as a WRITE-IN CANDIDATE for treasurer: Gravis Marketing Poll of 440 registered voters in CT has Rolf Maurer at 8%! http://www.independentpoliticalreport.com/2014/08/connecticut-poll-shows-green-nominee-for-state-treasurer-at-8/
US Congressional District I: Jeffery Russell. US Congressional District 2: the results of the August 9, 2014 Regional Nominating Convention: endorsement of William “Bill” Clyde.
Barbara A. Barry for CT State Senate District 1 (southern Hartford and northern Wethersfield). David Michel for CT State Senator District 27 (part of Stamford and part of Darien). Colin Bennett for CT State Senate District 33 (Haddam, East Haddam, Chester, Deep River, Essex, Lyme, Clinton and Westbrook). Ed Heflin for CT State Senate District 36 (Greenwich). Matthew Went for State House District 84 (Meriden center).
David Bedell for CT State House, District 125 (most of New Canaan). Nathan Cloutier for CT State House, District 148 (part of Stamford). Doug Lary for Windham GPCT Registrar of Voters (also running on the Bottom Line municipal party line): wasendorsed at the August 9, 2012 Regional Nominating Convention. Zoe DeVito for Stamford Board of Education.
b) Petitioning for offices: Successful: Bill Collins for State House, District 38 (Waterford and part of Montville). Successful: David Bedell for State House, District 94 (part of New Haven). to be replaced by David Olszta if endorsed tonight. Successful: David Bedell for State House, District 122 (part of Shelton and northern Stratford). Unsuccessful: Brian Austin for CT State House, District 51 (Thompson, Putnam and part of Killingly
c) We have no GPCT candidates for the ballot lines of: CT State House, District 135 (Weston, Easton and south part of Redding), Weston Registrar of Voters and Stamford Judge of Probate. d) No candidates came forward by the August 6th petitioning deadline to petition for governor/lieutenant governor. e) Updates regarding the CT SEEC (State Elections Enforcement Commission) regulation deadlines were/are: Wednesday, August 6th 2014: date that all signed petition sheets must be handed into the appropriate Town Clerks. (Candidates may hand in the petition sheets to the Secretary of the State’s Office(SOTS). However, the SOTS will send them back to the appropriate Town Clerks for appropriate INITIAL processing.) Typical rate of rejection of petition signatures by Town Clerks: 50%. And WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 3rd 2014: datethat the chairperson of CT political parties must notify the CT SOTS (Secretary of the State) of their endorsed candidates.
8. Update from our GPCT liaison (Tim McKee) to our alliance with NJ, NY, RI, MA and PA regarding the Algonquin Pipeline. WV, OH and ME are interested in joining the alliance. GPUS has endorsed this also. The energy company plans to expand the pipeline to a ME seaport so fracked oil and gas (from WV, OH and PA) may be exported. Here's a link to the Spectra Energy description of the project: http://www.spectraenergy.com/Operations/New-Projects-and-Our-Process/New-Projects-in-US/Algonquin-Incremental-Market-AIM-Project/
9. GPCT fundraising with possible speaker: a) Harvey Wasserman, Secretary of Energy in the Green Shadow Cabinet, is a college professor, journalist and an anti-nuclear activist since at least Three Mile Island event. He is willing to participate in two fundraising events: Waterford, CT chapter is seeking a site for one event and Fairfield chapter, e.g. at a Stamford Library, as a site that would also be fairly accessible to New York Green Party members and others. Harvey has agreed to participate in events on Saturday and Sunday, November 8th and 9th 2014.
10. GPCT sponsored events: a) Fairfield Chapter will table at theGreen CT Festival: September 13 through September 14, 2014 (Saturday and Sunday) at Taylor Farm Park, 45 Calf Pasture Beach Road in Norwalk, CT. Free admission. CT’s largest, healthy living festival for all ages. Businesses showcase their new technology to positively impact our lives and environment and tips that will save you money. livegreenct.com. b) Saturday, October 11, 2014 between 2PM and 4PM at the Harry Bennett Stamford Library, 115 Vine Rd, Stamford. 203/351-8291. GPCT candidates will speak including: Rolf Maurer for CT Comptroller and (write-in candidate for CT) treasurer and S. Michael DeRosa for CT Secretary of the State. The movie “1984” will be shown. c) use of festivals and fairs for tabling and outreach by candidates.
11. Reports from our (3) CTGP representatives to each of the following (GPUS) National Committees. Accreditation (AC): reviews: state chapters which petition to join the GPUS and criteria for state delegates to GPUS annual meetings and conventions. Annual National Meeting (ANMC): working on the 2014 GPUS Annual Meeting: Tim McKee. Ballot Assess (BA): discussion of efforts/difficulties/strategies/successes of the state Green Parties gaining ballot access: S. Michael DeRosa and Don Alexander. Black Caucus. Bylaws, Rules, Polices Procedure (BRPP): for the GPUS officers and national committees: Joshua Steele Kelly. Coordination Campaign (CCC): distribution of GPUS money to Green Party public office candidates.
Dispute Resolution (DRC): mediation of any disputes within the GPUS organization. Diversity (DC): strategies and actions to urge/maximize diversity within the GPUS. Don Alexander. Eco Action (EA): develop strategies for the GPUS regarding ecological matters. Jeff Russell. Finance (FinCom): review and determine how to spend the money of the GPUS organization. Fundraising (FC): raises money for the GPUS operations. Green Party of the US internet news: acquire and write articles for the GPUS website. International Committee (IC): develops/promotes GPUS positions re: world issues. Amy Vas Nunes, S. Michael DeRosa and Justine McCabe. Latino Caucus: Hector Lopez. Merchandizing Committee (MERCH): determines and acquires items for the GPUS. Rolf Maurer. Media Committee (MC): writes GPUS press releases. Outreach (OC): interacts with other groups who may have similar interests of the GPUS. Don Alexander. Peace (GPAX): discusses/develops strategies of how the GPUS may promote peace throughout the world. Don Alexander, Joshua Steele Kelly and S. Michael DeRosa. Platform (PC): promotes positions on issues for the GPUS which are consistent with Green Party Ten Key Values. Amy Vas Nunes, Don Alexander & S. Michael DeRosa. Presidential Campaign Support Committee (PCSC): develop strategies to support any GPUS presidential candidates. Tim McKee. Women’s Caucus.
12. GPCT Mailing List: Chapters are requested to provide their own updated member information including emails to the GPCT secretary so that the March 4, 2014 Secretary of the State Voter Registration List may be updated.
13. GPCT chapter reports: a) Fairfield;Greater Hartford; Greater New Haven; Greater Norwich; New London and Waterford, CT. b) update from Willimantic members and c) written approved minutes to the CTGP secretary.
14. Selection of the September SCC (State Central Committee) meeting i.e. date, time and site.
15. Other agenda suggestions.
GREEN PARTY TEN KEY VALUES: non-violence, respect for diversity, grassroots democracy, social justice and equal opportunity, ecological wisdom, decentralization, community-based economics and economic justice, future focus and sustainability, personal and global responsibility, feminism and gender equality.