Minutes of the Monday, September 22, 2014 SCC meeting at 6:30PM. No quorum so no meeting which is the last scheduled SCC meeting prior to the November 4, 2014 elections.
GPCT attendees by chapters: Waterford: Baird L. Welch-Collins; Greater Hartford: GPCT co-chairperson: S. Michael DeRosa; GPCT treasurer: Christopher Reilly and Barbara Barry, GPCT secretary.
Location: Waverly Center (formerly known as the Portland Senior Center, 7 Waverly Avenue, Portland, CT 06480.
1. Review and approval the minutes of the: a) July 30th and the August 19, 2014 GPCT Nominating Conventions; b) August 19, 2014 SCC meeting; c) accept the minutes of the: September 12, 2014 EC meeting and d) review and accept the minutes of the GPCT Candidates teleconference with the EC on: September 5, 2014, September 12, 2014 and 9-18-14 meeting.
2. Treasurer's report from Christopher Reilly. 3. Secretary’s report from Barbara Barry.
4. Reports from our three (3) representatives to the GPUS: Tim McKee, S. Michael DeRosa & Baird Welch-Collins.
5. Any proposals/resolutions from chapters or from five CTGP Members or from the EC.
6. Status of campaigns of the GPCT candidates for the November 4th 2014 elections:
US Congressional District I: Jeffery Russell. Incumbent since 1999: Representative John Larson, D. from East Hartford. US Congressional District 2: William “Bill” Clyde, VP, professor and provost of Manhattan College, received the GPCT endorsementat the August 9, 2014 GPCT Southeast Regional Nominating Convention. He is a 1st time candidate for any political office. Democratic incumbent since 2007: Representative Joe Courtney of Vernon, CT.
Barbara A. Barry, for CT State Senate District 1 (part of Hartford and northern Wethersfield) is also a 1st time candidate.Incumbent since 1997: Senator John Fonfara, Democrat of Hartford. He also was a CT House Rep from 1987 to 1997. David Michel for CT State Senator, District 27 (parts of Stamford and Darien): Incumbent since 2011: Carlo Leone, Democrat. https://www.facebook.com/GreenPartyStamfordDistrict2 Colin Bennett for CT State Senate District 33 (Haddam, East Haddam, Chester, Deep River, Essex, Lyme, Clinton and Westbrook). https://www.facebook.com/Bennett.for.Senate Incumbent since 2012: Art Linares, R. of Westbrook Ed Heflin for CT State Senate, District 36 (Greenwich, part of Stamford and New Canaan).Is a 1st time political candidate and forming his campaign. Will promote public banking for CT. Republican incumbent since 2008: Scott Frantz of Riverside.
Paul Gobell for CT State House 25(New Britain) Democratic incumbent since 2011: Bobby Sanchez.
Bill Collins for State House, District 38 (Waterford and part of Montville). Is a 1st time political candidate. https://www.facebook.com/BillGCollins. Democratic incumbent since 2004: Elizabeth Ritter of Waterford.
Cindy Day for CT State House District 67 (New Milford). Is a 1st time political candidate. Democratic incumbent since 2012: Cecilia Buck-Taylor.
Matthew Went for State House District 84 (Meriden center). Democratic incumbent since 2005, Hilda Antiago.
David Bedell for State Representative for District 122 (part of Shelton and northern Stratford). Republican incumbent since 1990: Lawrence Miller of Stratford. David Bedell for CT State House District 125 (most of New Canaan and Wilton). https://www.facebook.com/vote.bedell Tom O’Dea is Republican incumbent since 2012.
Nathan Cloutier for CT State House District 148 (part of Stamford). Democratic incumbent since 2011: Daniel J. Fox.
Douglas “Doug” Lary for Windham GPCT Registrar of Voters (also running on the Bottom Line (municipal) party line): endorsed at the August 9, 2012 Southeast Regional GPCT Nominating Convention. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lary-3rd-Registrar/20993769732602
Cora M. Santaguida for Stamford Board of Education;
Thaddeus Hanser for Stamford Judge of Probate;
Hector L. Lopez for Weston Registra of Voters.
b) Updates regarding the GPCT interactions with the CT SOTS (Secretary of the State’s) office and the CT SEEC (State Elections Enforcement Commission). Reasons: need to expedite and correct SOTS actions and get our GPCT correctly on the ballot lines for the November 4, 2014 elections. CT regulation deadlines were: WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 6th 2014: date that all signed petition sheets must be handed into the appropriate Town Clerks. (Candidates may hand in the petition sheets to the Secretary of the State’s Office(SOTS). WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 3rd 2014: date that the chairperson of political parties must notify the SOTS of their endorsed candidates. Per CT SOTS regulations, replacement candidates may occur up to two weeks prior to the November 4, 2014 election date.
7. Update since August 19, 2014 from our GPCT liaison (Tim McKee) to our alliance with NJ, NY, RI, MA and PA regarding the Algonquin Pipeline. WV, OH and ME are interested in joining the alliance. The energy company plans to expand the pipeline to ME seaport so fracked oil and gas may be exported. Here's a link to the Spectra Energy description of the project: http://www.spectraenergy.com/Operations/New-Projects-and-Our-Process/New-Projects-in-US/Algonquin-Incremental-Market-AIM-Project/
8. GPCT fundraising with possible speakers: a) Harvey Wasserman, anti-nuclear activist since at least Three Mile Island event…for two fundraising events: Waterford, CT chapter is seeking a site for one event and Fairfield chapter, e.g. at a Stamford Library, as a site that would also be fairly accessible to New York Green Party members and others. Harvey has indicated he is available for Saturday and Sunday, November 8th and 9th of 2014. May need to cover his traveling expenses. RS to investigate the possibility of holding a second fundraiser with Harvey Wasserman in New London.
9. Upcoming GPCT sponsored events: a) Fairfield Chapter willtable at the Green CT Festival: September 13 through September 14, 2014 (Saturday and Sunday) at Taylor Farm Park, 45 Calf Pasture Beach Road in Norwalk, CT. Free admission. CT’s largest, healthy living festival for all ages. Businesses showcase their new technology to positively impact our lives and environment and tips that will save you money. livegreenct.com. b) New Haven GPCT members endorse the Bridgeport #ActOnClimate event on Saturday, September 13, 2014 from 4-6pm. This is in support of closing Bridgeport’s dirty energy plants; stopping global warming and no more oil wars. Sponsors: CT Coalition for Environmental Justice, CT Sierra Club, Promoting Enduring Peace, Middle East Crisis Committee. c)The September 19 to 21st Climate Convergence event in NYC. Similar events will be staged across the world at the same time. The Green Party of the US, GPNY and GPCT have endorsed the NYC Climate Convergence, a weekend of teach-ins, rallies and protests being held on September 19-21 in conjunction with the march. d) Saturday, October 11, 2014 between 2PM and 4PM at the Harry Bennett Stamford Library, 115 Vine Rd., Stamford. 203/351-8291. GPCT candidates will speak including: Rolf Maurer for CT Comptroller and (write-in candidate for CT) treasure; S. Michael DeRosa for CT Secretary of the State. And the movie “1984” will be shown. e) use of festivals and fairs for tabling and outreach by candidates. f) RM: Saturday, October 4, 2014 event with 3 GPCT candidates (RM, SMD and possibly ED) between 1PM and 3PM at the Silverstar Diner, 210 Connecticut Avenue, Norwalk, 06854 (203) 852-0023. Seek at more than 20 people. g) also a Candidate Forum on Tuesday, September 23, 2014 at Hartford City Hall, from 11am to 2PM candidates may table. The GPCT will participate.
10. Reports from our (3) CTGP representatives to each GPUS National Committee.
Accreditation (AC): reviews state chapter which petitions to join the GPUS; reviews criteria for state delegates to GPUS annual meetings and conventions.
Annual National Meeting (ANMC): working on the 2014 GPUS Annual Meeting: Tim McKee.
Ballot Assess (BA): discussion of efforts/difficulties/strategies/successes of the state Green Parties gaining ballot access: SMD and Don Alexander.
Bylaws, Rules, Polices Procedure (BRPP): for the GPUS officers and national committees: Joshua Steele Kelly.
Coordination Campaign (CCC): distribution of GPUS money to Green Party public office candidates.
Dispute Resolution (DRC): mediation of any disputes within the GPUS organization.
Diversity (DC): strategies/actions to urge/maximize diversity within the GPUS. Don Alexander.
Eco Action (EA): strategies for the GPUS regarding ecological matters. Jeff Russell.
Finance (FinCom): review and determine how to spend the money of the GPUS organization.
Fundraising (FC): raises money for the GPUS operations.
Green Party of the US internet news: acquire and write articles for the GPUS website.
International Committee (IC): develops/promotes GPUS positions re: world issues. Amy Vas Nunes, SMD and Justine McCabe.
Latino Caucus: Hector Lopez.
Merchandizing Committee (MERCH): determines/acquires items for the GPUS. Rolf Maurer.
Media Committee (MC): writes GPUS press releases.
Outreach (OC): interacts with groups who have similar interests of the GPUS. Don Alexander.
Peace (GPAX): discusses/develops strategies of how the GPUS may promote peace throughout the world. Don Alexander, Joshua Steele Kelly and SMD.
Platform (PC): promotes positions on issues for the GPUS which are consistent with Green Party Ten Key Values. Amy Vas Nunes, Don Alexander & SMD.
Presidential Campaign Support Committee (PCSC): develop strategies to support any GPUS presidential candidates. Tim McKee.
11. Update of GPCT Mailing List: GPCT has the March 4th 2014 Secretary of the State Voter Registration List. It has been requested that chapter provide their own updated member information including emails to the GPCT list via the secretary.
12. GPCT chapter reports: a) Fairfield; Greater Hartford; Greater New Haven; Greater Norwich; New London and Waterford, CT. and b) written approved minutes to the CTGP secretary.
13. Selection of the date, time and site for the October SCC meeting.
14. Other suggestions.
GREEN PARTY TEN KEY VALUES: non-violence, respect for diversity, grassroots democracy, social justice and equal opportunity, ecological wisdom, decentralization, community-based economics and economic justice, future focus and sustainability, personal and global responsibility, feminism and gender equality.
Barbara Barry, GPCT secretary and GPCT candidate for CT State Senate 1st District