Accepted minutes of the 2-17-14 EC telephonic meeting from 7pm to 8pm telephonic conference. GPCT Attendees: co-chairpersons: Allan Brison, Greater New Haven and S. Michael DeRosa, Greater Hartford; secretary: Barbara Barry, Greater Hartford. Absent: co-chairperson: Linda Thompson of Norwich due to illness of spouse; and treasurer, Christopher Reilly, Greater Hartford, due to prior commitment. No other attendees.
Attendees discussed and decided on the following agenda for the 2-26-14 SCC GPCT meeting:
1. Review and approve the minutes of the: a) 1-28-14 SCC meeting; and b) accept the minutes of the: 2-17-14 EC meeting.
2. Treasurer's report from Christopher Reilly.
3. Secretary’s report from Barbara Barry.
4. Reports from our three (3) representatives to the GPUS: Linda Thompson, Tim McKee, and S. Michael DeRosa.
5. Any proposals/resolutions from chapters or from five CTGP Members or from the EC.
6. Discuss the Saturday, May 3, 2014 GPCT Annual Meeting and Internal Elections. Offices to be filled: 3 for co-chairperson, one for treasurer, one for secretary; 3 members to the GPUS; GPCT representatives to each national committee: (AC, ANMC, BA, BC, CCC, DRC, DC, EcoAction, FinCom, FC, GPUS internet news, IC, LC, MERCH, MC, OC, GPAX, PC, PCSC, WC). Mode of notification; request for donations?; volunteers for the Internal Elections Committee to check hand-in ballots at annual meeting; volunteers to design ballot and do notification; volunteer to set up room; deadline for candidates to come forward and deadline for providing candidate statements; facilitator; and agenda for 11am to 5pm meeting.
7. GPCT fundraising: a) RM and SMD to update about possible speakers such as: Sheila Matthews of AbleChild.org, a child/parent advocacy organization she co-founded. She will be speaking on the legal and mental health service options of reforms introduced in the state after the Newtown shootings. Adam Hughes and Joanne Sheehan of Hands Off Appalachia (http://handsoffappalachia.com/) to see if they would like to speak at a GP fundraiser held at the UU Society in Stamford for 2/22 or 2/23. They were demonstrating against UBS’ financing of mountaintop removal in the affected states over Thanksgiving and are supported by Dan Fischer and Capitalism vs. the Climate. Ardeshir and Eleanor Ommani, founders (along with Richard Duffee) of the American-Iranian Friendship Committee (https://www.facebook.com/AIFCIran; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTCU-EpJSqM&list=UUtIQil-e9wzT_fxySy1y3nw&index=31) for a fundraiser to discuss the current state and history of American-Iranian relations. They are both lively and scholarly speakers and frequently travel back and forth between the two countries. Harvey Wasserman, anti-nuclear activist since at least Three Mile Island event…for fundraising events; determine dates, times and sites of fundraising events; and b) request donations from GPCT members and/or activists and/or with ballot mailing.
8. GPCT website: a) GPCT literature to be developed by Barbara Barry for placement on eventual placement on GPCT website. She is to address: GPCT 10 Key Values. Some GPCT concerns and solutions about state issues are already on the website. b) need volunteer to develop a GPCT letterhead and to send it to the EC to be vetted prior to sending to the GPCT website.
9. Development of GPCT: a) strategies, literature and actions to be taken against nuclear energy and for renewable energy (sun, wind and geothermal); b) the closing Milestone nuclear power plant in Waterford, CT; c) address the safe closer of same; d) re-training of Milestone employees; and e) legislative activities.
10. Update of GPCT Mailing List from chapters to Barbara Barry, inclusive of emails and chapter updates.
11. a) Need volunteers for GPCT legislative agenda actions: energy (including: fracking, anti-nuclear and for renewable energy such as wind, sun and geothermal); ballot access; healthcare inclusive of Medicare and other suggestions. b) David Bedell regarding complaint to SEEC regarding lack of counting of write-in votes in the randomly selected CT towns of: Hartford, Bridgeport, New Canaan, Seymour, Stamford and West Haven. S. Michael DeRosa report about his meeting with CT Rep. Susan Johnson regarding ballot access.
12. GPCT candidates for the November 4th 2014 offices for: governor, lieutenant governor, treasurer, Congressional Districts: 1 and 2; State Senate and state representatives, municipal offices.
13. Status of the GPCT Bylaws Committee from members: Rolf Maurer, Cora Santaquida, Christopher Reilly, Linda Thompson, Barbara Barry, S. Michael DeRosa and Jeffry Larson.
14. Reports from CTGP members to the (GPUS) National Committees.
Accreditation (AC): reviews state chapter which petitions to join the GPUS; reviews criteria for state delegates to GPUS annual meetings and conventions.
Annual National Meeting (ANMC): working on the 2014 GPUS Annual Meeting: Tim McKee and John Went.
Ballot Assess (BA): discussion of efforts/difficulties/strategies/successes of the state Green Parties gaining ballot access: S. Michael DeRosa & Edward Schwing.
Bylaws, Rules, Polices Procedure (BRPP): for the GPUS officers and national committees: Amy Vas Nunes.
Coordination Campaign (CCC): distribution of GPUS money to Green Party public office candidates.
Dispute Resolution (DRC): mediation of any disputes within the GPUS organization:
Diversity (DC): strategies and actions to urge/maximize diversity within the GPUS: Linda Thompson.
Eco Action (EA): develop strategies for the GPUS regarding ecological matters.
Finance (FinCom): review and determine how to spend the money of the GPUS organization
Fundraising (FC): raises money for the GPUS operations.
Green Party of the US internet news: acquire and write articles for the GPUS website.
International Committee (IC): develops/promotes GPUS positions regarding world issues. Hector Lopez, Justine McCabe and S. Michael DeRosa.
Latino Caucus: Hector Lopez.
Merchandizing Committee (MERCH): determines and acquires items for the GPUS. Rolf Maurer and Hector Lopez.
Media Committee (MC): writes GPUS press releases.
Outreach (OC): interacts with other groups who may have similar interests of the GPUS: Linda Thompson.
Peace (GPAX): discusses/develops strategies of how the GPUS may promote peace throughout the world: Hector Lopez and S. Michael DeRosa.
Platform (PC): promotes positions on issues for the GPUS which are consistent with Green Party Ten Key Values: Justine McCabe and Amy Vas Nunes.
Presidential Campaign Support Committee (PCSC): develop strategies to support any GPUS presidential candidates. Timothy McKee.
Women’s Caucus: Martha Kelly.
15. a) GPCT chapter development: reactivation of the Greater New Haven chapter; b) report from the new Waterford, CT chapter and c) other chapter reports: verbal to the attendees and the written approved minutes to the CTGP secretary/EC members.
16. Selection of the date, time and site of the next SCC meeting duringthe last week of March i.e. Tuesday, 3-25-14 or Wednesday, 3-26-14 or some other date?
17. Other suggestions.
GREEN PARTY TEN KEY VALUES: non-violence, respect for diversity, grassroots democracy, social justice and equal opportunity, ecological wisdom, decentralization, community-based economics and economic justice, future focus and sustainability, personal and global responsibility, feminism and gender equality.
Submitted by Barbara Barry, secretary of the Green Party of Connecticut