Minutes of the 11-11-13 EC meeting at 6:30PM. This telephonic conference call was attended by the following: GPCT co-chairpersons: Linda Thompson, Allan Brison and S. Michael DeRosa; treasurer: Christopher Reilly and secretary: Barbara Barry. No other known attendees.
Discussed the following: a) Updates about the 11-5-13 elections and cross-endorsements; and if there has been any update about our GPCT/David Bedell complaint to the CT SEEC regarding lack of the town clerks ( in Hartford, Bridgeport, etc.) not counting write-in votes for the GPUS presidential candidate, Jill Stein.
b) Fundraising: Christopher Reilly provided updates about current CT and federal regulations; fundraising types: speakers, merchandise; requesting donations from GPCT members and/or activists.
c) Website: Allan Brison and S. Michael DeRosa to send to our website, the previously vetted articles from them. AB: the 9-29-13 GPCT Retreat flier and SMD: articles about climate change and student loans. LT to request that Melissa Schlag develop GPCT literature regarding GP 10 Key Values and GPCT solutions to areas of concern in CT; development of a GPCT newsletter for our website. Suggest that our contact phone number (888-877-8607 ) be used for when people are seeking next chapter or SCC meeting dates, times and sites.
d) CR: balance: $1175.87; current financial regulations: cannot request donations via an on-line pay system. Exception: it can be done on the national level (e.g. the GPUS). Also: any use of a credit card to make an on-line donation entails answering multiple questions inclusive if the credit card is in the name of and for the exclusive use of an individual vs. a business.
e) LT requests that emails be included in GPCT mailing list, activist list and donor list.
f) Consensus: redevelopment of our GPCT response to nuclear energy in CT and around the world i.e. shutdown Millstone nuclear power plant in Waterford, CT; work for retraining of the plant’s employees, making the present and future plant site safer; promotion of alternative renewable energy sources i.e. exclude “clean” nuclear and gas or Quebec hydroelectricity.
g) BAB has received email from the Progressive Action Roundtable (PAR) in New Haven, CT. This organization is requesting articles by deadline of November 18, 2013. BAB will respond or have a member of the GPCT Media Committee respond.
1. Review and approve the minutes of the: a) 10-29-13 SCC meeting; and b) accept the minutes of the: 11-11-13 EC meeting.
2. Treasurer's report from Christopher Reilly. Example of update about current federal political party financial regulation: can no longer directly request donations via an on-line pay system. Exception: it can be done on the national level (e.g. the GPUS). Also: any use of a credit card to make an on-line donation entails answering multiple questions inclusive if the credit card is in the name of and for the exclusive use of an individual vs. a business credit card.
3. Reports from our three (3) representatives to the GPUS: Linda Thompson, Tim McKee, and S. Michael DeRosa.
4. Any proposals/ resolutions from chapters or a group of five CTGP Members or from the EC.
5. a) Discuss the results of the November 5th, 2013 elections and b) cross-endorsed Green Party candidates. The GPCT candidates were:
- Fairfield County Green Party. For Stamford Board of Representatives: District 2: David Michel; District 3: Joel Furst; District 7: Zoe DeVito; District 9: Cora Santaquida; District 10: Clausel Berrouet; District 12: Rolf Maurer; District 13: Nathan Cloutier; District 20: Thaddeus (Ted) Hanser. Stamford Board of Education: Richard Z. Duffee; Stamford Constable: Fausto Molina. Also: Fairfield Zoning Board of Appeals Alternate: Daphne Dixon (& cross-endorsed by Democrats). Fairfield Constable: Dan Delventhal. New Canaan Constable: David Bedell and Hector Lopez. Redding Constable: Leif Smith.
- The New London Green Party candidates: Ronna Stuller for New London City Council and Mirna Martinez (& cross-endorsed as aRepublican) for New London Board of Education. Laurie Rogers for Columbia Board of Selectpersons.
- Update from David Bedell about status of GPCT complaint to the CT SEEC (State Election Enforcement Committee) regarding the lack of counting of our November 2012 presidential candidate, Jill Stein, in such cities as: Hartford, Bridgeport, etc.
6. GPCT fundraising while following the CT and federal regulations (as updated by Christopher Reilly, GPCT treasurer). Examples are: a)selection of speakers for fundraising events; determine dates, times and sites of fundraising events; b) GPCT merchandise and c) request donations from GPCT members and/or activists.
7. GPCT website: a) GPCT literature to be developed by Melissa Schlag for placement on eventual placement on GPCT website. She is to address: GPCT 10 Key Values and GPCT concerns and solutions about state issues ; b) S. Michael DeRosa to send to the GPCT website his (vetted) GPCT articles about climate change and student loans; c) Allan Brison to develop a GPCT letterhead and to send his vetted GPCT retreat flier to the GPCT website and d) development of a GPCT newsletter for our website.
8. Development of GPCT literature and actions to be taken about nuclear energy in CT i.e. shutdown Millstone power plant.
9. Update on Mailing List Information from Allan Brison inclusive of emails.
10. GPCT Media Committee response to PAR by 11-18-13.
11. a) GPCT responses to a) any actions taken by the CT legislature, our governor or the federal government and our actions. Possible topics: the 10-17-13 debt ceiling which has been moved to 2-7-14; the federal shutdown from October 1, 2013 through October 16, 2013 which may reoccur on January 15, 2014; N.S.A. vs. civil rights and privacy rights; possible changes to Social Security and Medicare; fracking, immigration, etc. b) GPCT legislative agenda items.
12. Political actions to be taken in the near future; events GPCT wishes to participate in; report back from GPCT attendees about the 11-9-13 MA-Rainbow Green Party convention.
13. Status of the GPCT Bylaws Committee from members: Rolf Maurer, Cora Santaquida, Christopher Reilly, Linda Thompson, Barbara Barry, S. Michael DeRosa and Jeffry Larson.
14. Reports from CTGP members to the (GPUS) National Committees.
Accreditation (AC): reviews state chapter which petitions to join the GPUS; reviews criteria for state delegates to GPUS annual meetings and conventions.
Annual National Meeting (ANMC): working on the 2014 GPUS Annual Meeting: Tim McKee and John Went.
Ballot Assess (BA): discussion of efforts/difficulties/strategies/successes of the state Green Parties gaining ballot access: S. Michael DeRosa & Edward Schwing.
Bylaws, Rules, Polices Procedure (BRPP): for the GPUS officers and national committees: Amy Vas Nunes.
Coordination Campaign (CCC): distribution of GPUS money to Green Party public office candidates.
Dispute Resolution (DRC): mediation of any disputes within the GPUS organization:
Diversity (DC): strategies and actions to urge/maximize diversity within the GPUS: Linda Thompson.
Eco Action (EA): develop strategies for the GPUS regarding ecological matters.
Finance (FinCom): review and determine how to spend the money of the GPUS organization
Fundraising (FC): raises money for the GPUS operations.
Green Party of the US internet news: acquire and write articles for the GPUS website.
International Committee (IC): develops/promotes GPUS positions regarding world issues. Hector Lopez, Justine McCabe and S. Michael DeRosa.
Latino Caucus: Hector Lopez.
Merchandizing Committee (MERCH): determines and acquires items for the GPUS. Rolf Maurer and Hector Lopez.
Media Committee (MC): writes GPUS press releases.
Outreach (OC): interacts with other groups who may have similar interests of the GPUS: Linda Thompson.
Peace (GPAX): discusses/develops strategies of how the GPUS may promote peace throughout the world: Hector Lopez and S. Michael DeRosa.
Platform (PC): promotes positions on issues for the GPUS which are consistent with Green Party Ten Key Values: Justine McCabe and Amy Vas Nunes.
Presidential Campaign Support Committee (PCSC): develop strategies to support any GPUS presidential candidates. Timothy McKee.
Women’s Caucus: Martha Kelly.
15. a) GPCT chapter development: reactivation of the Greater New Haven chapter and the new Norwich chapter; and b) Chapter reports: verbal to the attendees and the written approved minutes to the CTGP secretary/EC members. and c) clarify if a Waterford, CT chapter is developing.
16. Selection of the date, time and site of the next SCC meeting: will it be in December? ( last Tuesday of December is 12-31-13 i.e. New Year’s Eve or 12-24-13 i.e. Christmas Eve) OR should it be delayed until the first Tuesday of January 2014 i.e. 1-7-14 OR should it be some other date in December or January?
17. Other suggestions.