Minutes from the Tuesday, November 19, 2013 SCC meeting at 7PM at Portland Senior Center, 7 Waverly Avenue, Portland, CT 06480.
GPCT members by chapter: Fairfield: David Bedell, Rolf Maurer, Hector Lopez and Fausto Molina; Greater Hartford: GPCT co-chairperson: S. Michael DeRosa; GPCT treasurer: Christopher Reilly; GPCT secretary: Barbara Barry; New London: Ronna Stuller. Absent GPCT co-chairpersons: Allan Brison of Hamden and Linda Thompson of Norwich.No other participants/observers. Facilitator: Barbara Barry
1. Consensus: Approved the 10-29-13 SCC meeting minutes and accepted the 11-11-13 EC meeting minutes. 2. Treasurer's report from Christopher Reilly: balance: $1185.47.
3. Reports from our three (3) representatives to the GPUS: Linda Thompson and Tim McKee were absent. S. Michael DeRosa: a proposed GPUS Platform change failed. BAB: NC Greens are petitioning to have VT Senator Bernie Sanders, (I) run as GPUS 2016 president candidate; Josh Ploure, a 22-year old Green was top vote-getter for 3 spots on the Bangor (ME) City Council; Anna Trevorrow was top vote-getter for 2 seats on Portland ((ME) School Board. NY Working Families Party attaches Syracuse (NY) City Council GP candidate: Howie Hawkins. CA Greens elected in record numbers in an odd-numbered year. 16 CA Greens were elected to local government to bring the total to 18 for local offices and 54 Greens in state-wide offices. BAB: GPUS 2014 Annual Meeting will be held in Minnesota. Reason: the initial GPUS meeting, 30 years ago, was in MN. Date and MN site: to be determined. 4. No proposals/ resolutions from chapters or a group of five CTGP Members or from the EC.
- 5. a) Discuss the results of the November 5th, 2013 elections and b) cross-endorsed Green Party candidates. The GPCT candidates were: ·Fairfield County Green Party. For Stamford Board of Representatives: District 2: David Michel; District 3: Joel Furst; District 7: Zoe DeVito; District 9: Cora Santaguida; District 10: Clausel Berrouet; District 12: Rolf Maurer; District 13: Nathan Cloutier; District 20: Thaddeus (Ted) Hanser. Stamford Board of Education: Richard Z. Duffee; Stamford Constable: Fausto Molina. Also: Fairfield Zoning Board of Appeals Alternate: Daphne Dixon (& cross-endorsed by Democrats) was reelected. Fairfield Constable: Dan Delventhal. New Canaan Constable: David Bedell and Hector Lopez. Redding Constable: Leif Smith was reelected. ·The New London Green Party candidates: Ronna Stuller for New London City Council. Mirna Martinez (& cross-endorsed as aRepublican) was elected for New London Board of Education. ·Laurie Rogers for Columbia Board of Selectpersons. ·No update from David Bedell about status of GPCT complaint to the CT SEEC (State Election Enforcement Committee) regarding the lack of counting of our November 2012 presidential candidate, Jill Stein, in such selected cities as: Hartford, Bridgeport, New Canaan, Seymour, Stamford and West Haven.
6. GPCT fundraising which must follow the new CT regulations (as updated by Christopher Reilly, GPCT treasurer) are more strict than federal regulations. Examples are: a) selection of speakers for fundraising events; determine dates, times and sites of fundraising events; E.g. from SMD: Harvey Wasserman an anti-nuclear activist from Ohio has agreed to do so in February 2014 or another mutually agreeable time. SMD: Mr. Wasserman may discuss: Fukushima 2011 meltdown due to tsunami and the recent removal of radioactive rods and earthquake yesterday in Toyko. He could link Fukushima to our Millstone nuclear power plants in Waterford, CT which in 1974 and 1975 released radioactive I-131. Anti-nuclear power documentary, Pandora’s Promise was noted. b) GPCT merchandise: lawn signs and T-shirts and GPUS bumper stickers; and c) request donations from GPCT members and/or activists.
7. GPCT website: a) GPCT literature has not been developed by Melissa Schlag for placement on eventual placement on GPCT website. She is to address: GPCT 10 Key Values and GPCT concerns and solutions about state issues; RS to follow-up with MS. Need to put the 10 Key Values on website. b) S. Michael DeRosa sent to the GPCT website his (vetted) GPCT articles about climate change and student loans; c) Allan Brison has not developed a GPCT letterhead and nor has he sent his vetted GPCT retreat flier to the GPCT website and d) Consensus: to develop a GPCT newsletter for our website but not to add to our GPCT Facebook. Reason: it would be redundant. Facebook page is open to anyone in the GPCT group i.e. democratic for the vetted GPCT information. Consensus: Fausto Molina and David Bedell to administer GPCT website and Facebook. Consensus: Fausto Molina to administrate GPCT YouTube and MySpace: which will inform about GPCT and chapter events.
8. Consensus for the re-development of GPCT literature and reactivation of efforts to be taken about nuclear energy policies in CT: e.g. CT DEEP Administrator: Mr. Esty; the safe closure of the Millstone nuclear plants in Waterford, CT; retraining of Millstone workers. RS to ask the New London Greens about their position about this issue/participation. Note: GPUS Shadow Cabinet will be petitioning the UN about Fukushima, Japan dangers and general dangers of nuclear power.
9. No update on Mailing List Information (which was to include emails)from Allan Brison. AB is absent. BAB did look into the free or inexpensive business cards for GPCT EC officials. This is achievable but BAB suggests deferring the purchase of these cards until the 2014 GPCT EC members are elected (typically in April 2014.) No opposing opinions were voiced.
10. BAB is urged the GPCT Media Committee member (G. Scott Deshefy and Richard Duffee) responses to PAR by 11-18-13. They did so. BAB responded to PAR about GPCT 10 Key Values and interactions between chapters, members and the GPCT and typical meeting schedules.
11. a) GPCT responses to a) any actions taken by the CT legislature, our governor or the federal government and our actions. Rep. Himes has repeatedly stated he believes the “urgent” TPP (Trans-Pacific Proposal) is a good thing. Consensus: RM to represent the GPCT and write to Representatives Esty and Himes about our opposition to TPP. Other possible topics discussed: the 10-17-13 debt ceiling which has been moved to 2-7-14; the federal shutdown from October 1, 2013 through October 16, 2013 which may reoccur on January 15, 2014; N.S.A. vs. civil rights and privacy rights; possible changes to Social Security and Medicare; fracking, immigration, etc. b) GPCT legislative agenda items: see above and below items.
12. Political actions to be taken in the near future: a) CT is the only state to NOT allow windmills to generate energy. But to be in compliance with energy regulations, CT does contract out for renewable energy sources from other regions e.g. Maine. b) the 17th World-wide Renewable Energy Conference regarding Wind+Sun+ Water+ Geothermal to create more jobs and to save money to be held at 6:30PM, Thursday, November 14, 2013 at Middlesex Community College in Middletown; c) from Phil Dooley to GPCT website: End Ban on Wind Power in CT; d) the November 19-25, 2013 Fall Action Camp about: Hands off Appalachia by the UBS (United Bank of Switzerland). Efforts to focus on UBS funding to destroy Appalachia by using mountaintop mining for coal removal. BAB has already sent “a” +”b” + “c” and “d” to GPCT website. e) Amy Vas Nunes has gotten an agreement from Willimantic (District 49) CT Rep. Susan Johnson to meet with GPCT members about decreasing the number of petitions needed for CT offices. SMD: AB and Tim McKee, GPCT members attended the 11-9-13 MA-Rainbow Green Party convention which re-elected Jill Stein as chairperson and addressed MA concerns/issues. 13. Status of the GPCT Bylaws Committee from members: Rolf Maurer, Cora Santaquida, Christopher Reilly, Linda Thompson, Barbara Barry, S. Michael DeRosa and Jeffry Larson: pending.
14. Reports from CTGP members to the (GPUS) National Committees(NC). Accreditation (AC): reviews state chapter which petitions to join the GPUS; reviews criteria for state delegates to GPUS annual meetings and conventions. Annual National Meeting (ANMC): 2014 GPUS Annual Mgt: see #3; absent: Tim McKee and John Went. Ballot Assess (BA): discussion of efforts/difficulties/strategies/successes of the state Green Parties gaining ballot access: S. Michael DeRosa: GPUS has requested SMD help re-organize the VT GP. Absent: Edward Schwing. Black Caucus. Bylaws, Rules, Polices Procedure (BRPP): for GPUS officers/national committees: absent: Amy Vas Nunes. Coordination Campaign (CCC): distribution of GPUS money to Green Party public office candidates. Dispute Resolution (DRC): mediation of any disputes within the GPUS organization: Diversity (DC): strategies and actions to urge/maximize diversity within the GPUS: absent: Linda Thompson. Eco Action (EA): develop strategies for the GPUS regarding ecological matters. Finance (FinCom): review and determine how to spend the money of the GPUS organization. Fundraising (FC): raises money for the GPUS operations. Green Party of the US internet news: acquire and write articles for the GPUS website. International Committee (IC): develops/promotes GPUS positions regarding world issues. Hector Lopez and S. Michael DeRosa: no action. Absent: Justine McCabe. Latino Caucus: Hector Lopez: no action. Merchandizing Committee (MERCH): determines and acquires items for the GPUS. Rolf Maurer and Hector Lopez. GPUS has merchandise for sale including bumper stickers. Media Committee (MC): writes GPUS press releases. Outreach (OC): interacts with other groups who may have similar interests with GPUS: absent: Linda Thompson. Peace (GPAX): discusses/develops strategies of how the GPUS may promote peace throughout the world: Hector Lopez and S. Michael DeRosa: trying to reactivate this committee. Platform (PC): promotes positions on issues for the GPUS which are consistent with Green Party Ten Key Values: absent: Justine McCabe and Amy Vas Nunes. Cole Stangler has not been elected by the GPCT to this NC. Presidential Campaign Support Committee (PCSC): develop strategies to support any GPUS presidential candidates. absent: Timothy McKee. BAB see # 3. Women’s Caucus: absent: Martha Kelly.
15. a) GPCT chapter development: reactivation of the Greater New Haven chapter and the new Norwich chapter; Waterford GPCT members are holding meetings and events in efforts to organize a Waterford Chapter; and b) Chapter reports: verbal to the attendees and the written approved minutes to the CTGP secretary/EC members.
16. Selection of the date, time and site of the next SCC meeting: to be Tuesday, January 7th, 2014. Reason: the last Tuesday of December is 12-31-13 i.e. New Year’s Eve and the 4th Tuesday in December is 12-24-13 i.e. Christmas Eve). 17. Other suggestions: GPCT secretary, BAB, to send a sympathy message to the family of the Bob Eaton who died 11-14-13 at the age of 54. Bob was a GPCT member, manager of the GPCT listserv and former GPCT secretary.
GREEN PARTY TEN KEY VALUES: non-violence, respect for diversity, grassroots democracy, social justice and equal opportunity, ecological wisdom, decentralization, community-based economics and economic justice, future focus and sustainability, personal and global responsibility, feminism and gender equality.
Submitted by Barbara Barry, secretary of the Green Party of Connecticut